Sewing, stitching, baking, cooking, gardening, shopping and general homemaking.

Sunday 11 May 2014

A Retro Blouse Pattern

For a while now I've been having a go at making blouses.  I didn't blog about the last one I made but will show a picture soon.  I am having a bit of trouble getting these patterns to fit, I'm broad shouldered, small busted and rather wide on the waist.  Rectangular is my body shape. This blouse is still in progress, I've had to fiddle around a lot with the pattern and I'm now waiting for a concealed zipper foot to arrive so that I can put that into the muslin to check that the fit is right before I start on the fabric I want to use...

Now this blouse...
...fits without much adjusting at all, I just left the front darts out and added a bit to the peplum.  I started sewing the final fabric one together today, hope to get it finished this week but I'm not rushing it.  I'm making the view without the collar first.

These two patterns are reproductions of 1940s style blouses, I wanted 1930s style ones but I really liked these when I saw them and they were easily available for me to buy.

I'm glad that more women are going for these vintage styles, I've admired the look of 1930s fashions since I watched the Poirot series that started in 1989.  Then I watched Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries and her clothes are gorgeous.  In Poirot all the outfits are beautifully put together, matching hats, belts, bags, shoes, even the lipstick colours match, wish I had the talent to put clothes together so well.  I am trying to find things that all coordinate with what I'm wearing.  When I was a teenager in the 1960s it was usual to have shoes, bag and gloves matching and it seemed easy to find these items then, or maybe I just lost the habit of 'doing myself up' after I got married.  I spent a long time not bothering, if I don't do it now I never will and it's enjoyable to search out the items I want, sort of like a new hobby!

2 comments:

tubby3pug said...

cute blouse

retro rover

Yaya Snaps said...

I like pattern 1590...without collar...very much...almost makes me wish I still liked to sew :)